Skip to main content

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Poppers

When I was a child, I believed in leprechauns and candy trees. I saw the magic in rainbows and unexpected surprises. I want that same experience for my kids. They had a very different first couple of years but I want them to remember their childhood as a time of fun, spontanaity and creativity. Much of my experience is thanks to my Dad who I have frequently referred to as "Mr. Holiday". Even though our political leanings could not be more different, our similarities are overwhelming in almost any other way. I can't imagine a parent more attune to a child's imagination. I want to be that parent for my kids. I want to fill their lives with that sense of expectation and inspiration. It's a real testament to my Dad that the boys are beyond excited about St. Patrick's Day. They have a firm belief that "those tricky leprechauns" are out and about.... Joaquin watched an Irish dancing video and is now determined to become the next Michael Flatley. I love that my kids are proud Liberian, Mexican, Irish, Scottish Americans. During our adoption celebration, my Dad read the following Irish blessing...


We believe in living deeply,
laughing often and loving always.
We believe we were brought together
to support and care for each other.
We believe that everyone's feelings count
and that the uniqueness of each of us
strengthens all of us.
We believe in the power of forgiveness to heal
and the power of love to carry us through.
We believe in one another,
in this family.


Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Comments

Unknown said…
Can't wait to celebrate St. Patty's Day with you're beautiful family, Meg. Muah!

Popular posts from this blog

This morning's harvest

Another 15 ozs

Little one had another appointment with his pediatrician today and had gained 15 oz in the last week. He's finally on the growth charts! It's really amazing to see the transformation from bald headed, skin and bone, translucent skin and listless to an inch of soft strawberry blond hair, rosy cheeks, full belly and smiles in only 10 days. I really thought I'd be more exhausted but I feel great. Tired, a little scattered but peaceful and energetic. I also wondered how I'd feel about caring for a child on a daily basis without knowing what the child's future held. The truth is, I wonder but I don't dwell on it. I hope and I pray for positive decisions and wise choices but I know that I am doing what I can do. I've also been pleasantly surprised by the amount of support I've gotten. People are just jumping over each other to love on this little guy. He's been blessed with material items, snuggles and prayers from friends and family all across ...

Today was a good day...

Started out by realizing that I forgot to do a little project with the boys. Apparently a family in J's class is adopting a little girl from China and the school is trying to gather 100 wishes for the little girl and her new family. I asked the boys what they would want to tell a little girl who was moving into a new family just like they did a year ago. M thought for a minute and said, "I would tell her it's okay to be sad and cry at first but everything will be okay because your family really loves you". If I wasn't already a huge mush ball today, that did it. My sweet boy soooo gets it. I picked the boys up from school early so that we could be home in time for the social worker to come over to sign the paperwork. As I walked in, J saw me and started running up and down the hallway telling every teacher that it was time for us to "go sign our family papers". At every stop he got a thrilled smile. Love their school! As we signed the Adoptive Pl...