Skip to main content

What would you say?



What a beautiful day! Spent some time this afternoon working in the yard and then read and enjoyed the birds while the birds discovered the new birdseed and sunflowers. I'm reading a fiction book about forgiveness and valuing the people in our lives. It's an interesting concept--A plane crashed (fabulous, I have to fly later this month) into the water outside Tampa Bay, Florida and a woman finds a note with the words, "Dear T~ All is forgiven. I love you, Dad" in a ziplock bag floating in the debris. There are no survivors. She gives the note to a reporter who attempts to find the intended recipient. I was sitting in my garden thinking about what I would need to say to people if my time on earth were coming to a quick, dramatic end. I know it sorta sounds morbid but it's really wasn't. Why not think of what I would want to say and say it now? Why wait and never get the chance? I suppose I am afraid of feeling silly, thinking that it's not the right time....but what is that really in comparison with never being able to express something so important? What kind of difference could it make in my relationships if my focus becomes telling people how important they are to me?, It also made me think about the love that God, Our Heavenly Father, has for us. He also gave us the gift of love and forgiveness in written form. That helped me to realize the importance of giving those I love a written account of my feelings. I know there have been so many times that I've looked at important letters over and over again or sat with my bible in my lap and touched the words as I read them. When things mean something, we want to revisit them...hear, touch, see them.


I'm basically a sentimental sap. I keep everything that means anything to me. I have no idea where my diplomas are, I haven't the foggiest idea where important papers are hiding but I know exactly where to find pictures, old cards and notes from friends and family. I have a card sitting on a shelf in my hallway from some flowers my Dad (or as he likes to say "my Da") sent me for St. Patrick's Day when I was in college. It was such a sweet, unexpected gesture and it reminds me of his kindness, generosity and affinity toward fun and celebration. I've also got a card my Mom sent me displayed with some special glass items in my kitchen. I love that card because I could tell that she spent time looking for something that I would enjoy. It reminded me of her love, her desire to see the best for those she loves and her appreciation of style and beauty. I am so blessed to have parents that are always willing to help (my garden is proof of their time and hard work), who are generous, loving and fun. I could write for hours about funny memories, creative activities and valuable lessons but I wonder if I've done a good job of letting them know how much I appreciate them? I'm not sure but I know it can't hurt to try harder.

So for what it's worth.... Dear Mom and Dad, All is Remembered...I love you, M

Comments

Unknown said…
Aw, Sweetie, what a beautiful post! Made me wanna cry :) Your words ring very true. You are very good at valuing those you love. ((hugs))

Off topic, LOVE the way those sunflowers & the butterfly bush look together. Your garden is a marvel. :)

Popular posts from this blog

This morning's harvest

Another 15 ozs

Little one had another appointment with his pediatrician today and had gained 15 oz in the last week. He's finally on the growth charts! It's really amazing to see the transformation from bald headed, skin and bone, translucent skin and listless to an inch of soft strawberry blond hair, rosy cheeks, full belly and smiles in only 10 days. I really thought I'd be more exhausted but I feel great. Tired, a little scattered but peaceful and energetic. I also wondered how I'd feel about caring for a child on a daily basis without knowing what the child's future held. The truth is, I wonder but I don't dwell on it. I hope and I pray for positive decisions and wise choices but I know that I am doing what I can do. I've also been pleasantly surprised by the amount of support I've gotten. People are just jumping over each other to love on this little guy. He's been blessed with material items, snuggles and prayers from friends and family all across ...

Today was a good day...

Started out by realizing that I forgot to do a little project with the boys. Apparently a family in J's class is adopting a little girl from China and the school is trying to gather 100 wishes for the little girl and her new family. I asked the boys what they would want to tell a little girl who was moving into a new family just like they did a year ago. M thought for a minute and said, "I would tell her it's okay to be sad and cry at first but everything will be okay because your family really loves you". If I wasn't already a huge mush ball today, that did it. My sweet boy soooo gets it. I picked the boys up from school early so that we could be home in time for the social worker to come over to sign the paperwork. As I walked in, J saw me and started running up and down the hallway telling every teacher that it was time for us to "go sign our family papers". At every stop he got a thrilled smile. Love their school! As we signed the Adoptive Pl...